What type of work is performed under an Arizona Residential Plumbing Contractor license?

Installation and repair of water and gas piping systems, fire protection systems, and sewage treatment systems. Included are all fixtures, vents, and devices common to the industry, as well as solar applications. This scope includes all C-37R sub classifications.
R-37R Plumbing
R-37R Built-in Central Vacuum Systems
R-37R Kitchen and Bathroom Fixture Refinishing
R-37R Swimming Pool Plumbing and Equipment
R-37R Gas Piping
R-37R Sewers, Drains and Pipe Laying
R-37R Solar Plumbing Liquid Systems Only
Upon the effective date of these rules, no new applications for the R-37R Built-in Central Vacuum Systems, Kitchen and Bathroom Fixture Refinishing, Swimming Pool Plumbing and Equipment, Gas Piping, Sewers, Drains and Pipe Laying, and Solar Plumbing Liquid Systems Only license classifications will be accepted and no new R-37R licenses in these classifications will be issued.

Who must be licensed as a contractor?

Any business which contracts or offers to contract to build, alter, repair, add to, subtract from, improve, move, wreck or demolish any building, highway, road, railroad, excavation or other structure, development or improvement, or to do any part of the work must be a licensed contractor.

Also included in work requiring a license is the erection of scaffolding, connections to utility service lines, metering devices and sewer lines, mechanical or structural service to a structure or improvement and any other work in connection with the project.

“Contractor” includes subcontractors, floor covering contractors, hardscape contractors and consultants representing themselves as having the ability to supervise or manage a construction project for the benefit of the property owner.

Supervision or management includes hiring and firing of specialty contractors, scheduling of work on the project, and selection and purchasing of construction material.

Contractors must be properly licensed before submitting bids.

Who can apply for a contractor’s license?

A sole proprietorship (individual), a partnership, limited liability company, or a corporation may apply for a contractor’s license if they have a regularly employed person with the necessary experience, knowledge and skills who serves as the qualifying party. All persons listed on the application must be 18 years of age or older.

A corporation or limited liability company must be registered with the Arizona Corporation Commission and in good standing with that agency before submitting an application for a contractor’s license. The corporation or limited liability company must remain in good standing in order to renew their contractor’s license.

What are the steps required to obtain an Arizona contractor’s license?

  1. Pass the required examination
  2. Pass a background check
  3. Create a legal entity for your business
  4. Obtain a bond for your business
  5. Submit the proper application and licensing fees
  6. Submit completed application

What fees are associated with obtaining an Arizona Specialty Residential contractor’s license?

Application Fee: $80
License Fee: $270
Recovery Fund Assessment: $370
Total License Fees: $720

License Exam Fees depend on the exam.

Where can I take the licensing exam?

There are exam centers located in Flagstaff, Glendale, Phoenix, Tempe and Tuscon. See the PSI exam bulletin for addresses.

What happens if I do not pass my examination?

Candidates must wait 30 days before retaking the examination. It is not possible to make a new examination appointment on the same day you have taken an examination (this is due to processing and reporting scores).

After 3 attempts to pass each examination, candidates must wait 90 days before retaking the exam if they did not pass.