What type of work is performed under an Arizona Specialty Commercial Plumbing Contractor license?

This classification allows the licensee to install, alter, and repair all plumbing when performed solely within property lines and not on public easements or right-of-ways, except as hereinafter provided

This classification also allows the licensee to perform installation, alteration, and repair of all piping, fixtures, and appliances related to water supply, including pressure vessels and tanks (excluding municipal or related water supply systems); venting and sanitary drainage systems for all fluid, semifluid, and organic wastes; septic tanks and leaching lines; roof leaders; lawn sprinklers; water conditioning equipment; piping; and equipment for swimming pools.

Also included are piping, fixtures, appliances, and pressure vessels for manufactured and natural gases, compressed air and vacuum systems, petroleum, fuel oil, non-potable liquids, hot water heating, and hot water supply systems operating at pressures not exceeding 30 PSIG, or temperatures not exceeding 220° F; steam heating and steam supply systems not exceeding 15 PSIG operating pressure; gas or oil fired space heaters and furnaces, excluding duct work. Piping for water cooling systems, excluding the refrigerant piping and equipment. Testing and balancing of hydronics systems.

Sewer, gas, water lines, and connections from structure to the nearest point of public supply or disposal may cross public or private easements or be installed within private easements or right-of-ways. Pipe installed across public property may not be increased in size, or make any other connection between the point of exit from private property to the point of connection at public supply or disposal. These lines shall not be installed parallel to main lines in public easements or right-of-ways.

Who must be licensed as a contractor?

Any business which contracts or offers to contract to build, alter, repair, add to, subtract from, improve, move, wreck or demolish any building, highway, road, railroad, excavation or other structure, development or improvement, or to do any part of the work must be a licensed contractor.

Also included in work requiring a license is the erection of scaffolding, connections to utility service lines, metering devices and sewer lines, mechanical or structural service to a structure or improvement and any other work in connection with the project.

“Contractor” includes subcontractors, floor covering contractors, hardscape contractors and consultants representing themselves as having the ability to supervise or manage a construction project for the benefit of the property owner.

Supervision or management includes hiring and firing of specialty contractors, scheduling of work on the project, and selection and purchasing of construction material.

Contractors must be properly licensed before submitting bids.

Who can apply for a contractor’s license?

A sole proprietorship (individual), a partnership, limited liability company, or a corporation may apply for a contractor’s license if they have a regularly employed person with the necessary experience, knowledge and skills who serves as the qualifying party. All persons listed on the application must be 18 years of age or older.

A corporation or limited liability company must be registered with the Arizona Corporation Commission and in good standing with that agency before submitting an application for a contractor’s license. The corporation or limited liability company must remain in good standing in order to renew their contractor’s license.

What are the steps required to obtain an Arizona contractor’s license?

  1. Pass the required examination
  2. Pass a background check
  3. Create a legal entity for your business
  4. Obtain a bond for your business
  5. Submit the proper application and licensing fees
  6. Submit completed application

What fees are associated with obtaining an Arizona Specialty Commercial Plumbing contractor’s license?

Application Fee: $100
License Fee: $480
Recovery Fund Assessment: $0
Total License Fees: $580

Exam Fees:
One Portion: $66
Two Portions: $116

What exams are required to get a plumbing commercial contracting license?

AZ C-37 (CR-37) Plumbing (Commercial)  (240 minutes)
AZ Statutes and Rules Examination  (180 minutes)

Where can I take the licensing exam?

There are exam centers located in Flagstaff, Glendale, Phoenix, Tempe and Tuscon. See the PSI exam bulletin for addresses.

What happens if I do not pass my examination?

Candidates must wait 30 days before retaking the examination. It is not possible to make a new examination appointment on the same day you have taken an examination (this is due to processing and reporting scores).

After 3 attempts to pass each examination, candidates must wait 90 days before retaking the exam if they did not pass.